What is Sterling Silver? (and why should you invest?)

Humans have long been entranced by sparkling silver: as jewellery, coinage, high status homewares and status symbols ... and much more besides. Silver is often used to celebrate milestones, achievements, celebrations and ceremonies, as well as for its beautiful ornamental value. But how much do you really know about silver and your silver jewellery? What is sterling silver anyway? Why does silver tarnish and how can you clean it? How is silver different to gold? And why should you care?
This guide aims to answer all the above questions, so that you can make an informed decision about investing in sterling silver jewellery.

What is Sterling Silver?

Sterling silver is a mixture of pure silver and other metals, with the proportion of pure silver being 92.5%, and the other metals making up the remaining 7.5%. It is significantly harder and less malleable than pure silver and is the preferred choice for making jewellery and other silverware. It has been used since the Middle-Ages, when it became the standard material for the production of coins in Europe.
There are two main types of sterling silver: sterling silver and sterling silver plate. Sterling silver is made up of 92.5% pure silver, while sterling silver plate is made up of a thin layer of sterling silver over a base metal, such as brass or copper.
The name “sterling silver” has its roots in the Old English term for money, sterlings. The term was used to denote the purity of silver coins and jewellery, and it has been used ever since.

Properties of Sterling Silver

Sterling silver is a beautiful, bright and reflective metal, which is why it is so popular for jewellery and other ornamental objects. It is also extremely malleable and can be worked into intricate shapes and designs, making it ideal for jewellery-making.
Sterling silver is also resistant to corrosion and tarnishing, which makes it a great choice for pieces that are meant to last a long time, such as jewellery. However, it is not completely immune to tarnishing and will require regular cleaning and maintenance to keep it looking its best.

Benefits of Investing in Sterling Silver Jewellery

Sterling silver jewellery is a great investment for a number of reasons. Firstly, it is highly durable and resistant to tarnishing, making it a great choice for pieces that you want to last for a long time. Secondly, it is much more affordable than gold, making it an ideal option for those on a budget.
Thirdly, sterling silver jewellery is a great choice for those who want to add a touch of elegance and sophistication to their look. It is a classic material that never goes out of style, and is perfect for adding a timeless and classic look to any outfit.
Finally, sterling silver jewellery is a great choice for those who want to make a statement. Sterling silver is a bold and striking metal, and can be used to create unique and eye-catching pieces that are sure to make a statement.

Popular Sterling Silver Jewellery Pieces

Sterling silver jewellery can be found in a wide range of styles, from classic and timeless designs to bold and eye-catching pieces. Here are some of the most popular types of sterling silver jewellery:
Rings: Rings are a timeless and classic choice for sterling silver jewellery. They can be found in a wide range of styles and designs, from simple and understated to bold and statement-making.
 
Chains / Pendants / Necklaces: These are a great choice for those who want to add a touch of elegance and sophistication to their look. They can be found in a wide range of styles, from simple and delicate chains to bold and eye-catching pendants.
 
Bracelets / Cuffs: These are a great choice for those who want to add a touch of sparkle to their look. They come in a wide range of styles, from simple and delicate bangles to bold and eye-catching cuffs.
 
 
Sterling silver is a beautiful and durable metal, which is why it is so popular for jewellery and other ornamental objects. It is also much more affordable than gold, making it an ideal option for those on a budget.
From rings to chains to pendants and bracelets, there are a wide range of styles and designs available in sterling silver jewellery. Whether you’re looking for something timeless and classic or bold and statement-making, there’s sure to be something to suit your taste.
So if you’re looking for an affordable and beautiful option for your jewellery, then sterling silver is definitely worth considering. Not only is it a great investment, but it is also a beautiful and timeless metal that never goes out of style.

Leave a comment

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.